Peppermint Meringues are very lovely airy and light. The colours they come in are suitable for the holiday and any special even.
• 3 table spoons of peppermint candies that are thoroughly crushed
• 3 egg whites
• A pinch of table salt
• A cup of sugar (preferably superfine sugar).
• A teaspoon of white vinegar
• A third cup of mini chocolate chips (this is however optional).
• Preheat the oven to 3000F.
• Take the egg whites and put them into a mixture. Into it, add a small amount of salt. Start mixing the two. However, start the mixture on low speed and increase it gradually to full speed. Mix for about three minutes until it is foamy and soft.
• Having the speed at medium high, add to the mixture sugar slowly. 2 teaspoons at a time. Continue whipping the sugar and egg white mixture for several minutes and then late add vinegar. Increase the speed to high while you continue to whip the egg white until they form stiff peaks and are glossy when the whisk is lifted. This will take about five minutes.
• Fold in the peppermints that are crushed using a rubber spatula.
• Line two or three cookie sheets that are large with Silpat or parchment paper. However, when using parchment paper, put a dollop of the mixture at the four corners of the pan before you place the paper so that the parchment paper is secured in place well. Using a spoon or a pastry piping bag, add large drops of the mixture on the cookie sheets having them spaced out in an inch. If you do not have a piping bag, make one using a plastic bag and cut off the tip.
• Put the cookie sheets into the preheated oven and close its door. Before turning off the oven, wait for about a minute. Keep the oven door closed for about 3 hours. You could even leave them in the oven when you go to sleep. The peppermint meringues will cook gently with the residual heat that is in the oven.
• When you are done, the meringues will be crisp outside and airy and light inside. If they are however chewy after three hours, let them dry for some several hours.
• Store them in a container that is air tight.
• Per serving: cal. (kcal) 27, sugar (g) 6, carb. (g) 6, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Potassium (mg) 12, sodium (mg) 19, Other Carb () 1.
• The above values are based on a calorie diet of 2000.
For more images click NExt