What are the ingredients?
· 1/2 cup of shortening
· 1 cup of brown sugar
· 1 large egg
· ¼ cup of molasses
· 2 and ¼ cups of All Purpose Flour
· 2 teaspoons of baking soda
· 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
· 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
· 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon of rock salt
· 3 tablespoons of sugar that has been granulated
Methods on how to bake:
· The oven must be heated at 325 o F, in a large bowl, the brown sugar must be beat, after that the shortening, molasses and the egg will be combined and mixed by the electric mixer using a medium speed.
· All of the ingredients need to be stirred except for the granulated sugar.
· The dough will then be shaped using rounded tablespoonfuls into the 1 and 1/2 inch balls.
· It will be then dipped into the granulated sugar. The ungreased cookie sheet will be where the balls would be placed; the sugared sides should be up and needs to be spaced 2 inches apart.
· After creating it sugared sides, it has to be baked for at least 16 minutes or until the cookies look dry. After noticing that it is already dry, remove from cookie sheet and place the baked goods in the cooling rack.
In order to make the baking process easier, it is highly advised to buy shortening that has oblong packages that are already market to make the measuring and cutting process easier.
The inside of the measuring cup must then be sprayed with cooking spray, so that molasses will not easily slide out of the cup.
The calories for one cookie are estimated at 160 calories, the 60 calories comes from the fat. The cholesterol is estimated at 10 mg, while the sodium is at 135 mg. The total presence of carbohydrates in the mixture is at 22g.
It does not contain dietary fibers but has 1g of Protein; it also contains 6% of Iron.
Another recipe for Molasses is in the form of the Chewy Molasses.
· 2 teaspoons of baking soda
· 2 c ups of all purpose flour
· 1/2 tbs. ground cinnamon
· 1 tbs. Of ground ginger
· 3/4 tbs. Of ground cardamom
· 1/2 tbs. Of kosher salt
· 1 egg
· 1/2 cup or 1 stick of unsalted melted butter
· 1/2 cup of sugar that is granulated
· 1/3 cup of light or dark molasses
· ¼ cup of dark brown sugar
· Raw sugar for rolling use
· Preheat oven at 375 and then add cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, salt and baking soda in the bowl.
· Combine the, egg, granulated sugar, molasses, and brown sugar using a medium bowl.
· Put the sanding sugar in the shallow bowl, then scoop and dough out the tablespoon and then roll it into balls, chill it for 20 minutes.
· Roll in the sugar and put on the 2 parchment lines baking sheets, make sure they are spaced 2” apart.
· Bake the cookies, rotate the baking sheets halfway through the process until the cookies are puffed and cracked on the edges.
One serving of cookie will contain 80 calories; it will have 12 g of dietary fiber, 6g of protein and sodium mg of 120.